Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lucha Libre!

Maximilian and the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller by Xavier Garza
The first thing I love about this series is that it is bilingual--one page is in English and the facing page is Spanish.  Telling the story in both languages is great for students who are learning English for students who are trying to learn Spanish.  The second thing I love about this story is Garza creates a fun, playful mystery about something kids love.  Wrestling.  Or more specifically, the Lucha Libre.  I literally didn't put this down until I read it cover to cover.  The storyline might be a bit predictable, but it makes up for it by being well written and delightful.  And now I have a reason to do a booktalk in my Lucha Libre mask!

No comments: