Thursday, January 10, 2013

End of the Year Book Survey 2012

When I was reading though my blogs at the end of 2012 I came across this reader's survey and couldn't wait to answer the questions myself.  Thanks to the writers over at Pure Imagination for the idea.

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
This is so hard!  Right now I would say my favorite read from last year was Endangered by Eliot Schrefer.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Emily the Strange: Dark Times by Rob Reger.  I just knew I would love this book and ended up abandoning it.  I might go back and try again another time, but I doubt it.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Ghetto Cowboy by Greg Neri.  I was certain I wouldn't like this book because I don't like the cover art, but I was so happy to be wrong.


4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
It's a three-way tie between Cinder by Marissa Meyer, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin and Legend by Marie Lu.  The nice thing about recommending these books is I always know I'll have happy readers when they finish.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  What a great story.  I can't wait to read the second book!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Marie Lu, Michelle Hodkin, Marissa Meyer, Maureen Johnson, Robin LaFevers, Doug TenNapel and Eliot Schrefer.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I am making a conscious effort read more non-fiction.  My run away favorite was How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg.  I couldn't put it down and now I wish there was a sequel.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick.  So powerful.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
The Diviners by Libba Bray was amazing and I would love to re-read it since I listened to an audio version the first time.  Random fact:  I have listened to all of Libba Bray's books on audio.  I started with The Great and Terrible Beauty and loved it so much I decided listen to all of her books.  I have yet to be disappointed. +

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
I simply cannot pick just one so here are my favorite four:
 

11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Evie O'Neill from The Diviners.  She's a girl after my own heart. 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  Perfection.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
They Called Themselves the KKK by Susan Bartoletti.  It was so upsetting to read but really important to understand how deeply ingrained hate can be in America.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher.  It kept drifting to the bottom of the "to read" pile for some reason.  

15. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
shortest:  Wooves in the Sittee by Margaret Wild
longest: The Diviners by Libba Bray

16. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Does it get any better than Hazel and Augustus in The Fault in our Stars? 

17. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously.
The Diviners by Libba Bray or The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I simply can't choose.

18. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam by Ann Marie Fleming.  Thanks Ms. Larson!  I love the combination of primary documents, illustrations and text.  The book was, in fact, as magical as Long Tack Sam's life.  


Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
I still haven't read Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King or Hate List by Jennifer Brown (I can't imagine why), but I am committing now to reading them in 2013.    It's a bit random that the covers look so similar, right?
 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Without sounding too predictable I can't wait for the Scarlett by Marissa Meyer or Prodigy by Marie Lu.
I am always looking forward to anything published by Libba Bray or John Green.  Here's hoping that 2013 bring something new by either author!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I hope to read a least another 100 books.  I also want to blog about each of the books I finish this year instead of blogging randomly.  

Do you have thoughts or ideas about your reading for 2012?  Please share!

No comments: