Monday, January 28, 2013

And the winner is...

As you may already know...there is very little that makes me geek out quite like award lists.  And today I got to learn about this year's winners in real time via Twitter.  Believe me.  It was a very exciting morning in the library.  Here's a list of 2013 ALA Award Winners but here are a few of my winning favorites:

Newbery Winner 2013
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Oh the tears I shed reading this book during last year's ISAT testing.  I am so happy about this winner!  Sometimes I feel like Newbery misses the mark on kid appeal, but not with this one.

Coretta Scott King Award 2013
Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America by Andrea Davis Pinkney
Well I have a confession.  As hard as I try.  No matter how many blogs and book reviews I pour over.  There are always some books that slip under my radar and then end up winning one of the awards.  The good news is, I have another book on my list!




Printz Award 2013
In Darkness by Nick Lake
It's on my list to read, but winning just moved it closer to the top.

Here's the Follett description:
In the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, Shorty, a poor, fifteen-year-old gang member from the slums of Site Soleil, is trapped in the rubble of a hospital and as he grows weaker, he has visions and memories of his life of violence, his lost twin sister, and of Toussaint L'Ouverture, who liberated Haiti from French rule in 1804.







Pura Belpre Award 2013
Stonewall Book Award 2013
Printz Honor Book 2013
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

After this many wins this book is now sitting on the top of my Must Read pile.
I'm so excited!




Morris Award 2013
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

I just finished this so the books magic is still shimmering in my imagination.  Definitely deserved a nod for best new author.








Sibert Information Book Award 2013
Newbery Honor 2013
YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction
Bomb by Steve Sheinkin

A great example of how much information text is improving.  Kids won't be able to put this down.





No comments: