Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Newbery Honor is a Winner!

Three Times Lucky was delightful.  I was saturated in the warmth of the story from  "Trouble in Tupelo Landing" straight through to the last wonderful bits of "Dear Upstream Mother."  In fact, the main character, Mo LoBeau,  is now snuggled in my memory right alongside one of my other all-time favorite characters, Salamanca Tree Hiddle, from Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. The author created a idiosyncratic cast of characters that helps tell the story of Mo's mysterious life story while at the same time weaving a new mystery surrounding the death of one of the town's least loved residents.  The story is funny, suspenseful and unpredictable.  The perfect recipe for magic.  I can't say I'm surprised it won a Newbery Honor this year.  That's the second Newbery winner from 2013 that I've read and loved.  I cannot wait to read Bomb and Splendor and Gloom--my expectations for entertainment are very, very high.  Which one is your favorite?

No comments: