Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What am I Reading...Right Now?

Sometimes I think I have a problem with my reading focus.  I am often reading more than one book at a time.  On the surface I don't see how this is a problem since it's something I've done most of my life.  But as I get older and have started to think about my reading habits I wonder if this juggling impacts my overall impression of the book or how successfully I am interacting with the text.  Ultimately I don't think that these habits will change, but it is interesting to think about.  Here's what I'm reading now:




The Round House by Louise Erdrich
I am about half way through this amazing story.  I am in a bookclub with some wonderful women whom I simply adore.  I spend most of my reading time with YA books so it is always a bit refreshing to read an adult novel without feeling the least bit guilty.






Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
So this book has been on my list since I first saw the cover.  And then when I heard   Michael Cart booktalk it at ISLMA I knew it would be one that I read--though I had it on my summer list.  Well, after the title did a nice little sweep of the ALA awards for 2013 I confess that it flew to the top of my pile.  I'm happy to report that every time I pick it up I have a harder time putting it down.




A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
I started this while monitoring students who were testing. I got about half-way through and haven't revisited yet (which I find mildly troubling).  I have fondness for fairy tale retellings and this doesn't disappoint.  It has plenty of gore for the traditionalists and a fresh new story for the adventurous.  I can't imagine this will end up being an all-time favorite but the story is fun.
Chi's Sweet Home by Kanata Konami
Just a delight.  I love books that make me smile and this cat is freaking adorable.

That's what's in my pile.  What are you reading now?  Got any new titles to recommend?

=



No comments: