Monday, February 4, 2013

Boy Oh Boy

Boy21 by Matthew Quick
I first heard about this book from Ms. Gutzmer who read the novel over the summer. She kept pestering me to read it and I kept resisting.  And then I went to a conference and guess what book came up?  Yep.  Boy21.  What was it about this book that had everyone talking? Was it the basketball?  The alien?  Nah.  Plenty of books have been written about both.  Maybe it was the basketball player who claims to be an alien?  Yep. That's it.  And maybe that was what was holding me back.  I thought the idea of a basketball playing boy who claims to be from outer space seemed a touch silly.  I had trouble suspending my disbelief before I even started reading.  Well, eventually I got tired of having Ms. Gutzmer ask, "Did you read it yet?" "Did you read it yet?" "Did you read it yet?"  And so I read it.  Wow!  What a delightful surprise. It has something for everyone: sports, humor, drama, fantasy, crime and a dash of love.  I could hardly put it down.  I think you will love it too if you just give it a chance.

No comments: